Monday, May 3, 2010

In Which I Am a Snarky, Detail-Oriented English Major

In one day, my institution of "higher learning" that prides itself on its "literary tradition" released two articles that made me want to transfer simply on principle to speak out against its evident hypocrisy.

Example 1 (in a piece featured on the website's front page): "I'd like to be a liaison, making science more accessible to the public through good writing and good graphics." She's had a taste of educating as lead tutor for the Chemistry Department's solar energy course, working at Kenyon's Match and Science Skills Center, and loves the work.
We have a Math and Science Skills Center (though a Match one might be helpful for the dating scene); obviously "good writing" does not necessarily entail proofreading. 

Example 2 (concluding sentence of a piece from the Office of Public Affairs newsletter): The ripeness, as Hamlet says, is all.
That quote is from King Lear. ("The readiness is all" is from Hamlet.) 

Of course people make silly mistakes, especially under the pressure of deadlines—but in something so public? Something used to lure in students and money? Something that is, for better or worse, part of "the face" of the college? Envision me shaking my head in disbelief.

Bonus Example: The Microsoft Word thesaurus returned "detective novel" as a synonym for "thrilled." Last time I checked, nouns and adjectives are not interchangeable like that. ("So how did you feel when he got on one knee and presented the ring, Annabelle?" "I was detective novel!")

No comments:

Post a Comment