Wednesday, February 24, 2010

I'm Okay, You're Okay

It's been happening more and more often: when I murmur a courtesy "Sorry" after nearly bumping into someone or awkwardly exiting a doorway that someone else is trying to come in through, the other person will respond with, "That's okay, you're fine."

You'd think "No problem" or a simple acknowledging grunt would suffice, but no—people follow it up with a comment on my state of being. Thank you for the affirmation, dear stranger, but I didn't ask for your opinion on the matter. Do I really seem so clumsy and self-conscious as to be subsequently wondering whether I have somehow made you think less of me during our polite dance of deference in an entrance-way? You are (inadvertently and with the best of intentions, I am sure) making me feel like a six-year-old.

1 comment:

Thea said...

Haha please do--it'll add some flavor to my humdrum life.

Post a Comment